Frequently Asked Questions
Here you will find the answers to FAQs for Year 5 and 6. If you are not sure of something and the answer is not here, please contact your child's class teacher.
1. What uniform do children wear?
We wear the normal school colours: in Winter we wear a tie, blue smart shirt, grey socks, a skirt and long trousers with a maroon jumper or cardigan - in the Summer we wear a light blue polo shirt with grey socks, skirt or shorts or a gingham dress that is blue with the jumper or cardigan. We always wear black shoes.
2. When do we change from Winter to Summer Uniform and back again?
The Winter Uniform start from 1st September each year. We change to the Summer Uniform from May 1st.
3. How much are school dinners?
We operate a cash cafeteria system to encourage children to learn about money. Children get to choose from 4 or 5 varieties of meals, including two hot choices, salads, sandwiches and fish. They cost £2 for a meal and dessert. Below you will find the prices for individual items.
4. Do we study French?
Every child gets 30 minutes of French tuition every week from a specialist teacher.
5. When is swimming?
Children in Oak and Birch go swimming every Friday afternoon throughout the Autumn Term (from September to Christmas). Sycamore will go swimming every Friday afternoon in the Spring Term (from January until Easter).
6. Do we have a residential trip?
Yes. Children in Year 6 attend a residential trip every year - this year it will be to York in March.
7. When is PE? For Sycamore it is a Wednesday and a Friday, for Birch it is a Tuesday and for Oak it is a Friday.
8. When is homework given? For Sycamore it is given on a Friday. For Birch Maths is given on a Friday and English on a Thursday, for Oak it is given on a Thursday... we also expect our children to read every night and learn their spellings.
9. When is it expected to be back in? For Sycamore Maths is due back in on a Tuesday and Literacy is due back in on a Wednesday. For Birch Maths is due back in on a Thursday and Literacy is due back in on a Monday. For Oak all homework is due back in on a Thursday.
10. When are spellings given out and when are the tests? For Sycamore they are given out on at the start of a half term and the test is on a Friday. For Birch they are given out at the start of a half term and the test is on a Tuesday. For Oak, they are given out on a Thursday and the test is on a Thursday.
11. How do I pick my child up from school at the end of the day?
The Upper School will be open to receive pupils at the time of 8.30am. No responsibility is accepted for pupils arriving before that time. Classes will commence each day at 8:50a.m.
Classes end each day at 3.30p.m. - in the Upper School, parents who wish to have their children escorted home should make their own arrangements to have them met at the school gate and the person to escort them should be at the school no later than 3.30p.m. as the school cannot accept responsibility for looking after the children after that time, unless written permission is given for a club.